Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kanye West's Glow in the Dark (and get JIPPED) Tour



So, we went to this concert. Ready for a phat ass show. I had the expectancy level of seeing a show that would dare fight for the ranks of best concert ever, though I never doubted Daft Punk's 2007 Alive Tour would easily be dethroned.

Kanye's Glow in the Dark Tour freaking SUCKED. Nothing glowed. There was nothing but poor set design coupled with a performance that did not deserve the beaucoup bucks shelled out for the headlining act. With all the concerts my husband and I have ever been to (and there are plenty), this is definitely on the bottom of the list.

I see no reason why critics hailed this as one of the best summer concerts with an amazing light show. Why bother calling it a "Glow in the Dark Tour" if there's no glow? The most light show we got was the audience holding up their cell phones. Kanye didn't even have a glow-in-the-dark suit at the very least! OK, OK, I'll admit one thing that glowed was the Nike swish and sole of his sneakers, but I only saw that cause I brought binoculars.



The concert revolved around a ridiculous story line of Kanye's space ship crash landing while he tries to figure out a way back to earth. Wow. Are they serious? Then, he starts talking to his ship's computer called "Jane"??? Kanye sounded like the kids talking to Barney every time he talked to her. COME ON. Everything they threw at us was like a bad punch line. It was overproduced for no logical reason with forgettable video imagery, a CG alien ho, someone nonsensically wandering on stage in an alien costume, and countless other accessories and effects that were meaningless. However, we seemed to be the minority in comparison to the rest of the audience enjoying the show. It was like we Quantum Leaped into a children's concert (think Sesame Street Live, Radio City Christmas Spectacular, Dora the Explorer Live, etc.) and couldn't wait for the next jump.

Though, we not a die hard Kanye fans, we went solely for the promise of a dope show. I was utterly dissatisfied. Where was Kanye's stage performance that once captivated and impressed me with creative juices? My expectations were to be wowed with a creative show identical in excitement as his famous "Jesus Walks" Grammy performance that won me over in the first place. Not this time. The only creativity I saw was in the concert title.



The one thing that made it worth my time? Lupe Fiasco's opening act. Now I am a fan. He came on stage (don't ask me who the white guy on the stage is, I have no idea) and rocked it with his band who were so animated with personalities that held their own. No batteries required. And I guess you can count the 5 minute appearance by Jay-Z at the end, but that's it.

If they were going to insist on calling it the Glow in the Dark Tour, then I want Kanye's rendition of WHAM's "Wake Me Up Before you Go Go" video and then some. This concert was straight up WACK and we were robbed.


At least I did my makeup cool for the show.
for the makeup see my other blog via my links: Get Dolled Up

2 comments:

Steph said...

wow. it was really that bad?? hilarious review though! we went to see nine inch nails last week. the light show was so insane! 3 dimensional effects created by 3 screens. all i can say is you tube "Lights in the Sky, nine inch nails" to see what i'm talking about. makes all other performers look lazy.

AleetaOne a.k.a. A1 said...

Yeah, no exaggeration. Will check the NIN concert. Don't forget to check Daft Punk concert at Coney Island, Keyspan Park, Brooklyn, August 2007. BEST CONCERT EVER!